My Dress Story

 


I'm not too sure about this but I guess I should tell a story here shouldn't I? Maybe the story of how I have an Etsy shop and maybe how I got sewing right? Maybe everything will not get in here, but I suppose I could start now and finish later😊 


And while I'm at it, I will also sprinkle a few pictures here and there. Can't hurt😋




For my fifth birthday I got my first sewing machine. At that time I liked to hand sew little Christmas ornaments and trinkets but I had never tried a sewing machine before.  My mom and grandma both sew and that passed on to me. 

But my love for sewing doll clothes would not surface for a few more years. I started sewing barbie clothes because I wanted to make some modest barbie clothes for my younger sister's birthday when she turned nine. I remember sitting in our guest room, sewing away with all my worth and checking the tutorial I had found on Pinterest on how to sew a basic barbie dress. 

(Recent dress I made)

I do not think there is any proof of those disastrous dresses, but as you can see I have improved. 😂 Anyway those dresses became birthday presents and then as time went on I made some for Christmas presents and some were made for little cousins. One of my aunts after hearing about my new hobby, asked me to make some for her granddaughters. I went full out, princess style. I sewed little beads and ribbon all over those dresses🙈 Looking back now... you could say I was a little excited. I sewed those tiny dresses for days and pricked my finger many times, but I learned something new each time I proclaimed a little dress was done. 


I think my biggest encouragement is my dad. He is the one who originally pushed me to start selling my little dresses. At that point in time, I was just making them and then giving them away, because I didn't even think about selling them. He helped me set up an Etsy account and one of my aunts helped me take my first pictures. 

(Some of the first pictures of my dresses. Courtesy of my Aunt)

I listed my first dress on December 5, 2015. I think I was a pretty happy girl that day, but my first sale didn't some until February 2016. And that February, I sold five dresses. Huge, right?😂 Since then I have sold 359 dresses on Etsy and numerous dresses locally and at craft fairs. But my success didn't come easily😉 I'm afraid with this new "popularity" (not really) my twelve year old mind had a head rush. I began to sew and sew and sew. I began to get so consumed with quantity that I forgot quality. 


Well I'm a newbie here with blogging soo watch out for part 2!

Kaylee












Comments

Popular Posts